Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Can I Bite My Own Teeth?




As I recently tweeted, I love quotes. They're everything I want to say but never can. So, I thought it's be fun to have a Quotable Quotes day, which apparently is going to be Tuesday since that's today.

Every time I see or hear a quote that strikes my fancy, I'll jot it down or email it to myself for later reference. For those of you who don't know me very well, I tend to ramble about the inconsequential without ever making my point. A quote for me is a lifeline. And in the (sort of) words of John Mayer, quotes help me "Say what I need to say," in a charming and succinct fashion.

Today, for the first ever Quotable Quotes day, I'm drawing from the obvious yet brilliant Alan B. Watts. I read this and couldn't help but laugh at the truth behind his statement.

"Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth."

As I've been working on my author bio, putting together missing pieces for various blog posts, and generally answering questions about myself, I've come to the conclusion: I'm not that interesting, and it's really hard to sound otherwise.

When I read other people's bios I think, "Oh wow! How cool it must be to have a jellybean farm or a pet worm rodeo. I don't have anything like that." And so, a moment passes by with me pouting about my lack of general interesting-ness before I realize, "Hey, Alan B. Watts felt the same way as me and he was all kinds of awesome!"

That little revelation keeps me motivated. I'm odd and quirky and all around backwards, but I have a wonderful family and a great group of friends who love me for me. If those are the only two things I could ever claim in a bio, well that's more than a lot of "accomplished" people can claim in a lifetime. I'm blessed to be me :)

2 comments:

  1. And your a hell of a lot more interesting than someone who has a bio a mile long. Remember, Izzie, it's not accolades that define us, it's how we treat each person, every day. And there were bio for that, yours would be the most distinguished of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's all you need, Twinkie!!! Because you're all kinds of awesome and don't even realize it. :) we love you bunches...even if you think you're backwards and what not...so you're just gonna have to live with it. :)

    ReplyDelete